Finally a blog filling the gaping gap that is the absence of guiding pieces on the pubs of Budapest. You need not worry, your guide may be slow in recovering all hidden treasures of this great city, but he is quick in arming you with the details that will make you feel at home in any place, even before entering for the first time. Illuminating experience, I'm certain it'll prove to be.

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Freddy's Pub

1073 Budapest, Osvát utca 9.

Two minutes from Blaha Lujza tér this restaurant-pub offers something for all the residents and visitors of the neighbouring hotels and offices. Freddy’s Pub is where my path led last Friday. The pub used to be called ‘Kocsma a Piszkos Fredhez’ where ‘kocsma’ means (approximates the meaning of) pub, and ‘Piszkos Fred’ (lit. Dirty Fred) is a fictional character from the works of a popular Hungarian novelist, Rejtő Jenő (a.k.a. P. Howard, Gibson Lavery). To understand the pun perfectly, one would have to know more about Rejtő, and I wouldn’t advise you, gentle reader, against such ideas. It’s fun.

Freddy’s is rarely crowded, I think that's why our lovely waitress was 'round in no time. After the initial mulled wine (she convinced me that I only needed two decilitres instead of three, besides, the cup can only hold so much) came a host of other treats – including food as well – all very tasty and quickly served, I must say, I couldn’t have been happier with my choice. To add to my pleasures, the music too, was just fine; not too loud and not too popular either.

Later I took a tour of the cellar. It’s great, it’s vast, it’s empty; short of guests, I guess. Shame, it would be ideal for private parties. Nonetheless, I think I’ll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment